Saturday, July 23, 2011

Killer Coral and Rattler Red Soap

My husband's been rolling his eyes a lot again...He always does that when I have a new "crazy" idea. In fact, that's how I know I have a really GOOD idea...the more eye rolling I get, the better I figure the idea is...works for me. ha

So, when I decided to make Killer Coral soap in honor of all the coral snakes in Texas, my husband gave me the ole roll of the eyes, so it was GAME ON for me...ha..Actually, he was a very good sport about the whole thing. He even helped me create the layers.

We wanted to use natural colorings as much as possible, so we experimented with natural oxides. So far, we like the look. I decided to use Night Blooming Jasmine as a scent, because I figure snakes and Night Blooming Jasmine are two things that come out at night..Cockroaches also come out at night, but we won't even go there...and I've been asked....but I digress...

So, we mixed up a batch of soap. This one had olive oil, coconut oil, canola oil and almond oil in it. When it had reached a very light trace, we divided it into three bowls-one for red, one for black and one for yellow. I wanted to make my soap accurate...you know, get the colors in the right order....I figure I might actually save someone's life here....So, red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black, friend of Jack....Ok, I had to make sure to put the red and yellow colors together, so during the whole process, I was chanting like a banshee...red and yellow kill a fellow...my husband didn't even roll one eye...bless his heart...not even a slight twitch of that eyeball.
So, we got the three colors all mixed and began the tedious layering process...I'm more of a fling it down and hope it works kind of person and my husband is more of a let's measure this and calculate this and be very precise and methodical about this kind of person, so after a few minutes, I could tell I was making him nervous with my soap flinging, so I let him fling some....Ok, so the really straight parts, that's probably my husband's part and the other parts...well....you know....it adds interest.



Killer Coral in the Loaf Mold



Killer Coral being Cut




Here goes the tomato juice
    Oh, and the Rattler Red? That was so fun! We made that red by using real tomato juice and also some brick red natural oxide...scented it with spicy citrus and lime..."We" decided to make it solid red...for now...But I really really REALLY want to tweak it and make it look more like a diamondback rattlesnake...yeah...I got a BIG eye roll for that one, so I KNOW I'm on to something....I'll keep you posted.                           

No comments:

Post a Comment